Independent Study Abroad
What you need to know
At ASC, you can study abroad for a semester, a full academic year, a summer or participate in a combination of these academic terms if your schedule allows.
If you choose to study abroad through an ASC-affiliated program fall or spring semester or for an academic year, your ASC financial aid will apply.
Some students believe that they cannot study abroad because their major is demanding. With proper planning, students of all majors can study abroad.
The grades you earn abroad will not count toward your grade point average (GPA), but you will receive credits for the courses you take. However, they are not transfer credits: credits earned through ASC-affiliated programs are considered ASC credits. Therefore, there is no limit on how many credits you can bring in towards your major and/or minor requirements.
Studying abroad in your senior year may delay your graduation and will only be permitted in the 1st semester of your senior year.
ASC requirements to study abroad:
- Complete at least two semesters at ASC prior to the term abroad (transfer students must have completed at least one semester at ASC at the time of application)
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing
Minimum GPA: of 2.0 (note: most independent study abroad programs require 2.75 or higher).
The CGL holds events throughout each semester for students to learn more about study abroad. Check out our events here!
Ready to apply?
Your study abroad advisors provide support and guidance on all aspects of studying abroad: program selection and application, coursework abroad, identity and travel, budgeting for your program, intercultural development, pre-departure preparation, post study abroad, and more.
- Schedule an appointment through Compass or by emailing the advisor. Until further notice, all appointments are virtual.
To indicate your intent via Carta:
- Click on the program name and then on the “Apply Now”, and get started on the required documents:
- Apply to your preferred program (You apply to only one program and list your other choices within that application)
- Be sure to fill out ALL required fields.
Advising Hours (until further notice, all advising sessions are virtual):
Please visit Clementine for study abroad advising if your last name begins with A-R.
Mondays: 1:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m.
Tuesdays and Fridays: 10:00 a.m.-Noon
*Or by appointment
Please visit Wafia for study abroad advising if your last name begins with S - Z.
Mondays: 1:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m.
Fridays: 10:00 a.m.-Noon (General office hours)
*Or by appointment