Independent Study Abroad
What you need to know
At ASC, you can study abroad for a semester, a full academic year, a summer or participate in a combination of these academic terms if your schedule allows.
If you choose to study abroad through an ASC-affiliated program fall or spring semester or for an academic year, your ASC financial aid will apply.
Some students believe that they cannot study abroad because their major is demanding. With proper planning, students of all majors can study abroad.
The grades you earn abroad will not count toward your grade point average (GPA), but you will receive credits for the courses you take. However, they are not transfer credits: credits earned through ASC-affiliated programs are considered ASC credits. Therefore, there is no limit on how many credits you can bring in towards your major and/or minor requirements.
Studying abroad in your senior year may delay your graduation and will only be permitted in the 1st semester of your senior year.
ASC requirements to study abroad:
- Complete at least two semesters at ASC prior to the term abroad (transfer students must have completed at least one semester at ASC at the time of application)
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing
Minimum GPA: of 2.0 (note: most independent study abroad programs require 2.75 or higher).
The CGL holds events throughout each semester for students to learn more about study abroad. Check out our events here!
Ready to apply?
Step 1: Explore and Research programs on Carta
ISEP is our primary affiliated partner and a great resource for research
Step 2: Discuss your interest in study abroad with your Summit or Major advisor -
- Talk about how/when study abroad best fits into your academic plan
Step 3: Schedule an appointment with your Study Abroad advisor via COMPASS
- REMINDER: before your appointment, you must complete your Study Abroad Interest Form and review your Financial Aid package
Step 4: Declare your major (if you have not already done so)
Step 5: Review all deadlines and apply early!
Step 6: Start and complete the Study Abroad Application in Carta
- Choose your program of study and click “Apply Now” (only apply to one program; you can rank multiple program choices within your one application)
Step 7: Apply for the CGL Study Abroad Awards
Step 8: Start and complete the program provider application
- Be aware: deadlines for provider applications may vary.
Additional questions? Check-out the FAQs page
Please visit Clementine for study abroad advising if your last name begins with A-R.
Mondays: 1:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m.
Tuesdays and Fridays: 10:00 a.m.-Noon
*Or by appointment
Please visit Wafia for study abroad advising if your last name begins with S - Z.
Mondays: 1:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m.
Fridays: 10:00 a.m.-Noon (General office hours)
*Or by appointment